With Thanksgiving getting near, your dog can’t wait to eat the delicious food that you make.
Even though there are certain foods that your dog can eat, there are other foods that they shouldn’t eat at all.
These foods harm your dog’s health and cause them really bad effects.
Here are the top 10 Thanksgiving foods that harm your dog.
Get ready for the Holiday season.
Thanksgiving foods that are harmful to your dog
1.) Cooked and raw bones
Giving your dog cooked or raw bones can cause them lots of harm. Don’t ever give your dog cooked or raw bones because they can cause break into sharp splinters and become trapped in the digestive system.
Because of the sharpness, the raw bones will injure your dog’s throat and mouth when they try to swallow them. This is very painful for your dog and will hurt them a lot.
The bones are also small in size. So, when they are swallowed, they will damage your intestine, throat, and stomach.
In severe cases, they can cause blockage in their intestine and stomach. If your dog’s blockage isn’t removed, your dog will die.
Even if you give your dog cooked bones, there is a possibility that your dog can choke where the bones are stuck in their throat.
2.) Mashed potatoes
While plain potatoes and sweet potatoes are safe for your dog to eat, your dog must never eat Thanksgiving mashed potatoes.
Mashed potatoes are especially harmful to dogs who are lactose intolerant because they contain milk and butter.
Milk and butter can cause your dog with lactose intolerance diarrhea, stomach pain, gases, and other symptoms that will make your dog uncomfortable.
Also, some recipes for mashed potatoes include the use of garlic and onion powder.
Both garlic and onions have a compound called N-propyl disulfide which destroys hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is responsible for carrying oxygen throughout the body.
Garlic and onion ingestion can also eliminate red cells causing a condition called anemia.
If anemia is left untreated, it can lead to organ damage, failure, and even death.
3.) Grapes and raisins
Grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs. Even though the exact substance that causes this toxic reaction isn’t known, it is still highly fatal for dogs.
If your dog eats grapes and raisins, it will often cause them kidney damage which will lead to kidney failure.
When your dog accidentally eats grapes or raisins, they will experience symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, dehydration, tremors, seizures, and, in some cases, coma.
So can you save them? Actually, you can save them. however, you got to be really fast about it. Observe your dog for symptoms that they have.
If your dog has eaten either grapes or raisins within the last two hours, you have to help your dog vomit using hydrogen peroxide to get all the toxins out.
However, never do so if your dog is unconscious, having trouble breathing, or at a shock.
Whether your dog vomits or not, go to the emergency immediately so they can get all the remaining toxins out.
Hams are very high in salt. They contain lots of sodium that is really harmful to your dog.
Because they are really salty, it can cause your dog stomach ache or pancreatitis which are really painful for your dog.
When your dog eats too much salt, they will drink lots of water which will make them develop a condition called bloat.
This is a condition where your dog’s stomach fills with gas and within several hours may twist causing them to die. So, it’s very dangerous to give your dog ham.
It can also lead to other side effects such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, seizures, and kidney damage.
Therefore, your dog’s life depends on what you feed them. Never give them ham because it won’t end up well.
Chocolate is bad for your dog and will harm them very much. The darker it is, the more toxic it is for your dog to eat.
Chocolate contains theobromine, a substance that is easily metabolized by humans; however, it isn’t easily processed by dogs that it ends up becoming toxic for them.
The level of toxicity depends on your dog’s size.
If your dog is a large breed, they may experience symptoms such as an upset stomach from consuming a small amount of chocolate.
While a small dog can suffer from severe complications that will endanger their life.
If your dog has a theobromine poisoning, they will experience hyperactivity, irregular heartbeat, heart attack, and internal bleeding.
If your dog eats chocolate, then you have to go immediately to the vet so they get treated.
6.) Pumpkin pie
While plain pumpkin is full of nutrients and vitamins that your dog can eat, pumpkin pie is full of sugar that isn’t good for your dog.
Your dog may have an upset stomach even though they haven’t eaten anything toxic.
There are symptoms to look for in your dog such as irregular bowel movements like vomiting and stomach pain.
7.) Thanksgiving turkey
Thanksgiving turkey is harmful to your dog because it is cooked in oils, fats, spices, onions, and garlic which are very dangerous for your dog.
To know other reasons why your dog shouldn’t eat Thanksgiving Turkey, check Can Dogs or Cats Eat Thanksgiving Turkey Without Any Problems?
The skin contains lots of fats which can cause your dog to have pancreatitis and irritates your dog’s stomach.
Bones are also very dangerous for your dog to eat; they can cause splinters in your dog’s mouth, choking, and blockage in your dog’s intestines.
Giving your dog a plain turkey is the best option so your dog doesn’t get any harmful effects from eating Thanksgiving turkey.
Many Thanksgiving food contains alcohol which is really bad for dogs.
Alcohol can make your dog sick.
They can experience alcohol poisoning where they vomit, have low body temperatures and blood pressures, loss of coordination, and coma.
Your dog’s health will be at risk when you give them alcohol regardless if it is large or small in amount.
So, it’s up to you to be responsible and not give your dog any alcohol.
If your dog accidentally does drink alcohol, you have to go to the vet immediately so this type of poisoning can be treated effectively.
Gravy is really bad for your dog. It contains lots of fat which is made from turkey.
It can cause your dog problems in their stomach and inflammation.
Commercial gravy is even worse because they contain flour and sugar which will either have too many carbohydrates or fat that will harm your dog when they are too much.
They can cause your dog to have diabetes or gain weight.
Commercial gravy also contains other ingredients such as onion powder, starch, and milk powder which can cause your dog harmful effects.
Even though your dog may find it delicious, they should never eat it as it isn’t good for them.
10.) Bread dough
If your dog eats bread dough, they can have an illness. Eating bread dough guarantees that it will expand in your dog’s stomach.
This is a very bad condition that requires surgery for your dog to be okay again.
It can also cause alcohol poisoning when it releases ethanol into the gastrointestinal tract.
1.) What other foods that are toxic for your dog?
Some of the other foods that are toxic for your dog can cause them problems include macadamia nuts, blue cheese, and milk.
They can cause your dog symptoms such as vomiting, tremors, depression, and weakness.
2.) What vegetables are bad for your dog?
Some of the vegetables that are bad for your dog are onions, garlic, mushrooms, avocadoes.
Your dog should never eat these vegetables so they don’t get sick and experience their harmful effects.
Thanksgiving is a time to enjoy with your family and dogs.
It is a time of bonding and sharing a good time.
Your dog is no exception. So, you have to be prepared to give your specific foods that won’t harm them at all and avoid these foods that harm them.